Address
3rd Floor, Building A, Xincheng Square, Baomin 2nd Road, Xixiang Street, Baoan District, 518102, Shenzhen, China.

 

ev charging

How to Deal with Charging Interruption in Electric Vehicles?

In recent years, the popularity of electric vehicles has been increasing, but along with it, issues regarding their use have also arisen. Today, we will address the problem of Charging Interruption for electric vehicles and provide targeted solutions.

Here’s the key information:

What is a “Charging Interruption”?


For electric vehicles, a “Charging Interruption” refers to a phenomenon where there is a disconnection between the charging pile and the charging gun during the charging process.

Why do “Charging Interruption” occur?

Normal Situations:

1.Vehicle-side SOC Threshold Setting: When the State of Charge (SOC) reaches around 98%, the charging pile will automatically stop charging to protect the safety of the charging process. To prevent overcharging, most vehicle owners set the SOC below 100%, causing the charging to stop when the preset SOC value is reached, resulting in “Charging Interruption” and incomplete charging.

2.Charging Pile-side SOC Threshold Setting: Charging stations set SOC thresholds based on local conditions. For example, in hot weather, when the charging pile detects that the vehicle’s remaining battery level has reached the preset value, it will automatically stop charging, leading to “Charging Interruption” and incomplete charging.

3.Common Phenomenon of Fast Charging: As long as electric vehicles are properly connected to the charging pile, they can theoretically be fully charged. However, the charging speed is fast for the first 80%, but slows down for the remaining 20%. This is a normal phenomenon when using fast charging piles.

These three situations are considered normal “Charging Interruption” and are aimed at increasing the safety of the charging process and reducing the risk of overcharging, which could cause short circuits and fires in the vehicle’s power battery due to the vehicle’s built-in BMS (Battery Management System) failing to automatically interrupt charging.

Other Situations:


Self-Inspection of Three Conditions:
Whether the charging pile is faulty.
Whether the charging gun head is severely worn.
Whether there are foreign objects in the plug socket.

1.Communication errors
Communication errors leading to command errors are generally related to the vehicle’s charging management system not being upgraded. Once there is a problem with the communication module between the vehicle and the charging pile, command errors issued by the system can cause the charging pile to misfire.

2.High outdoor temperatures
High outdoor temperatures trigger the charging pile’s thermal protection device, leading to Charging Interruption. In such cases, it is recommended to park the vehicle in a shaded area for 5-10 minutes until the temperature drops before charging again.

3.Vehicle cooling system failure
If the cooling fan of the electric vehicle is damaged and cannot operate normally during the charging process, especially during fast charging, Charging Interruption are more likely to occur.

4.Starting the vehicle’s power supply during the charging process
It is not only damages the battery but also causes certain electric vehicles to protect themselves by stopping charging and leading to Charging Interruption.

How to Reduce “Charging Interruption”:

1.Charge as needed and discharge lightly:
Adhere to the principle of “charge as needed and discharge lightly.” During daily use, there is no need to deliberately pursue 100% full charge; maintaining battery levels sufficient for daily travel needs is adequate.

2.Pay attention to SOC:
Keep the SOC between 20% and 90%.

3.Pay attention to charging methods:
If you want to charge the battery to 100%, after charging to the SOC threshold with a fast charging pile, you can supplement the charge using a slow charging pile.

Share this Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *